Hot Springs Village, Garland
transcribed By: Randy & Carlotta
August 2, 2005
In the 1890's the Underwoods
came to Marble Township and settled
in the Beaudry Community.
One of the two sons, Curtis, was in his teens.
The homestead was in the area now known as
Cortez Golf Course. A few years later in 1898, Curtis
died of rabies at the age of 19, and was buried near his home.
This grave is now in the middle of Cortez Road,
just outside the entrance
of the Golf Course.
When Cortez road was built, it was built so that a
passer by would have to travel on either side of the grave.
The site was preserved by the Cooper
Hot Springs Village was surveyed & developed.
It is the only grave at this site.
In March 2002 the fence was added to
the Underwood Cemetery.
There was also a nice plaque added, we've found that
some of the information on the plaque was incorrect.
In the Spring of 1979, Mr. & Mrs. Loyd
Village residents, donated a headstone & had it placed
on the grave to permanently mark the site.